Sunday, October 15, 2006

Smoked Turkey Strikes Again

That last soup was so good I decided to try again. Well that and the fact that I still have not gone to the grocery store, so I scramble for things to cook for myself and my pregnant wife. So soup again is the verdict.

This time I decided to stay away from the indian/morrocan thing. Instead I looked in my spice drawer and found I had some packets of Sazon. So I decided to make a pseudo-Caribbean/Italian soup type thing. And it turned out great! Is this just the way making soup is? I feel like I have discovered the holy grail. A recipe that can use anything you have in the kitchen and taste great while being really healthy at the same time. Amazing.

Secret ingredients this time that you could really taste: adding slices of lemon to the soup as it cooked, a bit of white wine, and a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end. And as with the previous recipe - the tomato paste adds great body. Plus, I am loving this smoked turkey thing. The flavor of ham without the ham. Not that I have any problem with ham, but my wife doesn't like it. I married her anyway.

Pseudo Carribean Smoked Tukey Soup

salt and pepper
olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 small diced red onion
three cloves chopped garlic
four slices ginger
three slices lemon
1/4 cup white wine
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup diced smoked turkey
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup pasta (I used shells cause I had them)
1 can great northern beans

Get out the soup pot. Heat up some olive oil and add the onions. Let cook until browned around the edges. Add the smoked turkey and garlic. Cook until turkey gets just brown at edges (but don't let garlic burn). Now add the tomato paste and "sazon" seasoning and cook for just a few minutes. Next add water and the wine, maybe 4 cups or so (fill the pot up 2/1 to 3/4 full). Add the ginger slices and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and let go for 1/2 hour or 45 mins. Then add the frozen corn and pasta and cook until pasta is tender (10 - 15 min). Last add a splash of balsamic vingear and stir though.

I served with toast.

No comments: